Wednesday, December 21, 2005

How did we get to this point?


Well, I thought I thought I would start out with a little history. You know, explain how I got to this point and also tell you a little about out team and our future plans.
First of all, you need to know that I am a big, fat blob. I have never done anything athletic, ever. My favorite thing to do in the world is to read the New York Times cover to cover on a Friday while drinking Pepsi and eating chips and an Italian sub (minus the condiments--more about that later).
In June 2004 my wife developed Lymphoma. Her initial treatment lasted until the end of that year. While her treatment was finishing, I decided to join Team in Training and complete the St. Anthony's Olympic distance triathlon in April 2005.
Unfortunately my wife relapsed quickly and had to have a bone marrow transplant in 2005. Her transplant was successful and she is now healthy and back to her own athletic training.
When I dropped out of St. Anthony's, my good friend, Bud, dusted off his old cleats and hit the road with Team in Training and completed the Tahoe Century ride in June 2005 (America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride). His gracious efforts gave me the idea for TeamBigWave.
So with the next post I will tell you what happened during my wife's transplant and shortly thereafter......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home