Sunday, April 27, 2008

I cannot consider Boston my town anymore but Mary Davitt did work at the Union Oyster House once

Back form Boston and it was a very repectable trip. I got in two long runs and was able to cover most of the city. In addition I walked all over the place. Boston is a great city for walking.

I was heading over the back side of government center when I passed the Union Oyster House and it hit me. Enough has changed for both me and Boston that I can no longer consider it "my town". I am just a tourist. The worst kind of tourist at that--one with stories of how it used to be.

Top Ten reasons why Boston is no longer "my town"

10) Boston College tuition announced in the Herald--$50,000--All that for the Irish and they will just waste it on drink
9)The elevated highway is gone--how did that happen?
8)Best Buy replaces Tower records at the top of Newbury Street
7)Pro Communism rallys at Harvard square have been replaced by anti communist but pro Tibet rallies. If you cannot count on Harvard Square to be pro communist, who can you count on?
6)I eat at John Harvard's brew pub but refer to it as 33 Dunster Street. Has not been 33 Dunster street since Reagan's first term
5)I take cabs and not the T
4)Bill Rodger's running store seems to be operated by a couple of shady Russian guys
3)I no longer wander around and wonder if I can ever get into Harvard. I do wonder if my kids could get into Kingsley Montessori school in Back Bay
2)I see the city at 4:30 am--Only now I an heading out for a two hour run instead of returning home from a night of drinking
1)The Friday's on Newbury street--the one with the all glass windows, the one next to the Exeter street theater where they do the Rocky Horror picture show--the one that we used to save cash for a whole semester so that we could go out to dinner there for just one night after finals--yea that Friday's is CLOSED


Oh and by the way, The "dirty water" from the Standell's song has been cleaned up--Wait a minute, that means we could have a triathlon there---Awwwwwww, Boston your my home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home