Monday, December 26, 2005

Where Was I?

I dropped out of training for St. Anthony's triathlon and my wife had her transplant in April of 2005. A little before that I started secretly training for the Chicago triathlon in August. Three little problems--I can't swim , bike or run. In March of 2005 I did not own a bike, could swim about 37 yards (I timed and measured it) and running---forgit aboud it!!! I practiced swimming late at night, since out pool is open until midnight. I biked mostly on an indoor Revmaster. Running--I never did get to too much running--but hey you can only do so much.
I thought I was doing ok and by July my wife was well enough that I could start going to Team in Training practices. So I headed off for Saturday morning open water swim confident in the knowledge that i could swim more than a mile. First practice I run with the other team members off the beach and into the lake--200 yards later they are moving off into the distance and I am calling 911 on my cellphone. So I had read about open water swimming but I had never DONE open water swimming. Turns out there is a difference.
A quick visit to Dr. Barabara Walker, noted sports psychologist and all around good egg, and I was ready to try again. Who knew I was actually a head case. Ok, everyone but me knew, but give me a break I have three sports to deal with.
I did conquer the swim, sort of. Mostly I practiced at 6am while two guys with those metal detector things trolled the lake depths for lost triathletes with metal body parts. By the way, a wetsuit is a great comedy prop.
I will continue later with the bike and run training.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home