Saturday, May 20, 2006

Wessel, Westside and Cash


What a great event. I am talking about last night's Relay for Life--Cincinnati Westside style. First of all, you need to understand that Cincinnati is on of those east/west kind of cities. In a nutshell: Eastside--Wine, German cars and vacations in Florida ; Westside--Beer, Buicks and vacations, well actually everyone from Cincinnati goes to Florida.
Bottom line the Westside always comes through and last night they were out in force.

I showed up around 4am and the first site was a giant tent city where all the teams were camped out. Jason Wessel organized the team and he was there to greet me. Jason was sporting the modified "Unabomber" look--sweatshirt, no shave, no sleep--everything but the multi-page manifesto. I expected a sedate kind of thing and planned to walk until 6 am. What I found was crazy. Bright lights, an excellent DJ and ongoing games. I had so much fun I ended up going an extra hour (This is how I am going to start and build a case to explain my poor performance in tomarrow's triathlon). Looks like they raised a high 5 figure amount. By the way, at 7am they served a westside breakfast---Doughnuts!!! What no cigarettes and Goetta?

Super job. I cannot wait to hear everyone's stories.

Now to bed---tommarrow we have the Tri for Joe. Sprint Tri for me and David, 5k for Lisa and Jody and kid's run for the two knuckleheads.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home