Sunday, May 21, 2006

A Race for Everyone


So much to report from the Tri for Joe. Let's start by saying that it was an unbelievable success. Lucinda Hurst tells me they got close to 500 participants. More than double what they projected. The weather was in question but even that held off and unveiled, "The Perfect Race Day".

Things started with the 5k run /stroller walk. I trained the kids to ride their strollers in hopes of a victory. Jody worked with Lisa and they each pushed one stroller. I think they could have won except for 1)Excessive chit-chat 2)Stopping to call Talbots and place a phone order 3)Checking out the guys in the Anderson High School jazz band (Chicks always love musicans). Darren Hurst pushed a double.

David ( of Jody and David) stopped by the night before and we hooked him up with Lisa's 15 year old, Bridgestone Hybrid. A classic quirky design but not Tour de France ready. So he and I did the Tri. The swim was this crazy thing in a large pool wih Buoys everywhere. Temp was 62 but it felt great with a wetsuit. A couple of problems: 1)I think I am developing a head case about swimming--I could commit to a full head down position (more about this later) 2)The pool is a circular deal at an amusement park. So the entire edge of the pool is only 1 foot deep. I went wide and at some point it became easier to walk the swim---Correct--WALK the swim.

Off on the bike and my legs were shot. David Rahner of Crossroads Health Center caught up to me and then violated USAT rules by riding side by side for a bit and then off he went. I pedaled but it was pretty ugly. We did ride down towards a Sunday morning flea market and past a number of confused people. Also got in one lap around Lunken airport. Including a tight turn where one error would have placed you on the 9th green.

Out of transition my legs were horrible but I did manage to pick up some speed and also high five the whole family. I was ablt to do a little dance at the finish. My one goal was to get done fast enough so I could make it to the kids race.

I was just fast enough. Andrew and Christopher both were in the kid's race making it their second event of the day. Christoper was off like a shot and never looked back. Andrew tired at mid race but as soon as he saw the finish line with cheering crowds on went the afterburners. Everyone got a medal. Jack Hurst was in the second phase of the kid's race and placed high on the podium.

Times have yet to be posted. Is it possible that I have finished last again? Yes, quite possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home