Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The run down

After a day off I am back in the saddle with an hour and a half ride on the bike trainer. The major fallout from the marathon---my quads do not work, essentially making it impossible to go down stairs or hills. Lots of elevators for me.

But before we move on, a little race recap.

Before the race, I broke the course up into a couple of areas. I called them:

1)Tour de Kentucky
2)Dahntown
3)The Hill
4)My Hood
5)Welcome to Mariemont
6)The Death Zone
7)The long stretch home

First, the Tour de Kentucky---The race starts almost in the dark. A an abandoned house fire on the course delayed our start by fifteen minutes. That explains why I kept hearing sirens all night long.

I started out with a plan to folllow a group planning to run the race in 5:30, a super slow time. I should digress and comment on Mike Tyson. A reporter once asked him how he was approaching an upcoming fight since the opponent "had a plan". Mike's comment was, "everybody has a plan until I land the first punch".

In those first few mile I felt horrible. Legs were dead and tight and I watched as the SLOWEST pace group in the race was out of sight in the first two miles. First punch--New Plan--run within your heart rate and maybe finish. Over the Ohio and through Kentucky before heading back over the river to Cincinnati. I must say that things looked pretty bleak , but lets see what can happen back in Ohio

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home