Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Hell,through a child's eyes

So I got a small vision of hell or as I like to think of it, my ultimate future.
I got up this AM a little later than usual and went for swim training. Now Holidays are a little wacky because I have to negotiate the master's swimmers (too fast for me), the family swim (too much pee for me) and , lastly, the water aerobics class.

The water aerobics presents several challenges. First they take up a bunch of lanes. Second the actually work out while wearing sunglasses and clutching Gucci bags. Third, there is always one wearing the swim cap with the floppy strands coming off the the skull (Ala Esther Williams). Finally, they often rotate in a circle and create massive, tsunami like waves that have been known to toss lap swimmers out of their lanes.

Now its great that they are out there and I, myself, can also be a horrifying site but this is more than a man can take...

So today as I was finishing my mile, the class began to set up.

As I glanced over to the bench, I saw a young boy who had been brought by his mother and was being made to watch and wait for the completion of the class. Is there anything a kid would want to do less? Then I realized, this is what hell might be like. In the words of Joseph Conrad, "The Horror. The Horror".

I think I will ride my bike tomarrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home