Sunday, July 02, 2006

A Really Big Blog

Ok so let's go in reverse order. I have been on vacation, so we have a lot to cover.

Last night was the kid's race at the Hyde Park Blast, our local day of bike racing, road racing and alcohol consuming. Christopher opted out of the bike race and went for the running race. One lap around the square. I assume he won because he got a medal. Now the real scandal was the falsified paperwork. That's right, I lied on Andrew's form and said he was four years old. So he and I ran together. We avoided the "bowling pin" pile up of four year olds and cruised to a respectable, near last place finish

Earlier in the morning, I raced in the adult race. Perfect conditions. I improved my time by about nine minutes over last year. Very happy with this result. Jay and Kendahl were there. David and Jody also were on the course and I hope had a good race as well. The Blast benefits a bunch of cancer related charities and has really become a premiere event.

Now last weekend was the Philly Tri. I was there to race with Team In Training Rhode Island and my friend Brian Carroll. The weekend started with a 9 hour drive to Philly. Let's just say that Satellite Radio is the only way to go. I got to town and immediately met the Team, where else, in the bar. This is the Rhode Island Team not Utah. After a few beers at what I am told is the worst bar in the city we headed out for dinner and then to bed.

By the way, did I mention that all week long the discussion was about toxic spills and "fishkill" in the river. We were not swayed.

Saturday arrived and we rode our bikes through the city to get in a little practice and also to register. Raining a bit, but still a great ride. We swam a little in the pool and then chill out time. I got to visit Bill and Mary and their kids. Saturday night was the Pasta dinner. I found out that Brian was one of the top fundraisers in the country---You go Girl. Team raised 850 K at this event alone.

Sunday was full of suprises. First the swim was cancelled. Not due to toxins, but rather large trees. Rain on Sat. night had swept a ton of stuff into the river and there were large objects floating by. So the race became a 5k run--40k Bike and 10 K run. Much harder for me since I am kind of husky.

I started out slowly on the run. We headed down to the Art Museum and back--yes, where they filmed Rocky. Now back to the bike. Fantastic. Tree lined, in the park, great hills and art work. Cheering crowds. Off the bike and out for the 10K. Overall, not too bad. I actually picked up steam as the race went on. Finished around 3:13. I have risen from 7th to last up to 14th to last.

Post race food included--Philly pretzel, Italian Subs, real pizza--all stuff you can't get in the Midwest. Running a triathlon is just a hard way to get it.

Let's hear it for Brian.

Next race--Ceasar's Creek Tri this weekend. Racing with David, Jody's husband.

Here is a link for some photos:

http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=10698&BIB=1879&S=230&PWD=

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home