Monday, August 18, 2008

Why are you Here?

I was watching a video that gave tips on how to do an Ironman. One of the suggestions was that you need to have a reason. You need to have a reason for whne , not if, the going gets really tough. What is the one thing that has brought you to this place.

The same speaker said he writes, in marker, messages on his arms that help guide him through the race. So I was thinking that I did not have a single reason. My goals were fuzzy and maybe this is why I am not so talented at this.

I cam up with four things to write on my arm:

1)WWAD (What would Andrew Do?)

My son Andrew has such great focus and determination. Unfortunately, I have none of that. So when I really need to focus I think, "What Would Andrew Do"?

2)BDIM ("But Dad, they're not doing Ironman")

My son Christopher always knows the right thing to say. He knows how to help others. A couple of weeks ago we were watching a bike race. I was telling Christopher how amazing I thought the top racers were in this one hour race. And Christopher said to me, "But Dad, they're not doing Ironman". Point well taken

3)Survive

Lisa had to fight to survive and was able to do it. Kind of cheesy, but that's a motivation also

4)TM ya IM ("Tom Murtaugh, you are an Ironman")

Silly as it sounds, this is what i reallly want to hear. By tradition, the announcer calls out your name at the finish line with that line. I just want to hear it said

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home