Saturday, March 24, 2007

Progress

Let's face it. Although the last two of triathlon training have been fun for us all, there has never really been a concern that I was any good at these events. The fun has come primarily from the survival aspect. Unusual for a sporting event but , then again, I am no ordinary sportsman.

Now that is not to diminish TeamBigWave accomplishments but my near drowning in Tampa Bay, my gasoline inhalation in Lake Michigan and of course the bilateral, monster leg cramps in Chicago were closer to "Jackass:The Movie" than Bud Greenspan's film of the 23rd Olympiad.


But a strange thing is going on. In the last few weeks I can feel myself getting control of some apsects of the sport. Tonight I went for an 11 pm swim session. Since I am on call I have a plastic bag technique to hold my pager and cellphone on the pool deck. Walter set me up for a 2 plus mile swim that included 20 intervals of 100 yards each. The goal is to try and go fast but then to hold this pace for each of the intervals. A funny thing happened--I was able to do it. I might be racing this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home