Thursday, April 05, 2007

If you can't be an athlete, at least be an athletic supporter

2 things that are great about sports:

1)You are responsible for your own performance

Rewind--I used to see plots against me everywhere. When things were not in my favor, I would see some master plan designed to work against me. That was one of the many reasons that Lisa's illness was so difficult. It threatened to reinforce the notion that some force was working against us. To a certain extent triathlon helped me avoid descending back into that pit.

I was thinking about this tonight because I had to schlepp out for a 10pm swim session. But I realized that come race day my effort will be my own. So there is no great plot against me even though a lot of things don't go my way.


2)You can lose yourself

Fastforward-I question everything. I have made a cottage industry of trying to annoy everyone. It works this way. I feel like I am constantly anxious and unsure. So naturally, I cannot stand it if someone lacks my anxiety and is confident in their opinions.

Each day I get a specific workout from my coach. It dawned on me tonight that I never even think about the workout. I merely goo out and complete the workout as prescribed. I have confidence that if I put my head down and follow the plan thongs will work out. For me that's progress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home