Thursday, March 29, 2007

Lance has the F1 project and I have Bob from Wheeliefun

My goal is out there now and kind of hangs around my neck like a noose. This is my first go around with an actual goal. Come to think of it, I have made it through half of my life without a goal.
Our swimming goal is 35 mintues and I feel pretty good. The race is 1500 meters and I consistently swim 100 in around 2 minutes or less. Multiply that out and you get 30 minutes or so plus five minutes for fighting in the water, CPR, giving my insurance card to the rescue guy, running up the swim stairs and pulling off my wetsuit.
Perfect-35 minutes

But the bike is another story. I need to go 20 mph and in the past have only managed 19 mph. Does not sound like a big deal until you realize that resistance on the bike is a NON LINEAR function. So a small increase in speed or wind comes at a very high cost.

So I have two solutions for this problem. The first is that Nick and I have adjusted my weightlifting to increase muscle strength in the leg.

The second is my "Rosie Ruiz" strategy. I went to visit Bob, The TNT Coach, at Wheeliefun today. He outfitted me with a new saddle and funny handlebars that stick out in front of the bike called aerobars. It makes me more aerodynamic and takes the load off the front of my leg. Bob says its good for one mile per hour----19+1=Twenty MPH. 20 mph equal a bike time of 1:15. Now I just have to figure out how to run and transition.