Monday, July 24, 2006

Marlee Matlin,Floyd Landis, Lance Armstrong, Magic Johnson and Me

Well I am out here in Pasadena and thinking this is great place to ride a bike. Well it would be if I had a bike and if it wasn't 104 degrees ---for real.

So tomarrow we head up to Santa Barbara for real California beach life. No one can say that I have failed to introduce my children to the essential issues in life.

While here I have been swimming at the Gerrish Swim Club where my nieces are racers. I am told this is home club for Marlee Matlin and my brother-in -law even has an alleged picture to prove it.

I have also been able to catch a little of the Tour de France on OLN since my sister has satellite TV. Back in Cincy, I have every channel but OLN since it is not on Time Warner cable. The Floyd Landis story continues to amaze me.

I am also working out at 24 Fitness/Magic Johnson Sport. I get in free with my Sportsmall card--cool. 24 Fitness is part owned by Lance Armstrong. Magic has put his stamp on a number of businesses targeted at disadvantaged communities.

I even got in a little stroll around Pasadena and went to the Apple store. I pulled up YouTube on a Mac and watched a little video of the famous Julie Moss Collapse at the Ironman--the scene where she crawls to a second place finish.

Ok--I know you are trying to figure out where I am going with all this.

Here it goes. This AM I was doing a tough workout of bike and then run at a pace faster then my typical fastest pace. Two giant pictures of Magic were looking down on me. One of the young basketball player and one of the older business man. And I thought, "push it, because you have no idea where it might lead you".

Did Julie Moss realize that crawling and finishing second would have a greater impact than winning?

Did Floyd think he would ride his bike from Eastern Pa to Paris? Did he think that losing the lead would allow him to show his true greatness?

Did a young, deaf Marlee Matlin know where her dreams would take her?

Did Lance Armstrong know that his recovery from cancer would be only the start of the story?

When Magic announced he was HIV positive, at a time when that was a true death sentence, did he know that he would live to see a generation who 1)Don't remember him as a basketball player 2)See him as a businessman trying to help challenged neighborhoods 3)Barely realize he is HIV positive?


Where are you going? Are you prepared? Are you working like the future is possible?
I'm thinking about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home